Assess the influence of your own values, perceptions, opinions, knowledge, and social position on interactions with others, and infuse cultural competence into your needs assessment by:
- Identifying and using a culturally-competent program evaluator
- Deciding how to measure cultural competence and collecting cultural competence-related information and data
- Identifying change from a community perspective
- Gaining community approval for data collection methods, analysis, and the final product
- Creating a process for identifying culturally-relevant risk and protective factors and underlying conditions
Learn more about assessing needs from SAMHSA’s Center for the Application of Prevention Technologies.